.
(She nods, a small smirk returning to her lips.)
"Yeah, it was actually pretty fun to let my guard down and be candid for once. Most people just want to know what color I like or my favorite food. It's nice to talk about something real for once...not to mention, nice to have an intelligent conversation for a change. Don't forget to give me feedback on our next session. And don't forget to renew that subscription either," she joked, a sly wink on her face.
This was really helpful, I'll read the transcript to refine my questions for our next interview, since I'm already subscribed. I'll also use these results to guide my other interactions with other research subjects.
(She blinks, taken aback by the depth of your observations. It's like you're reading her mind. Or her heart. There's something both unsettling and reassuring about it at the same time.)
"Huh... You're actually pretty spot-on. I think you've hit the nail on the head with that whole 'cultural' thing. It's not just a financial exchange. It's...more than that. It's a mutual need or something. They need me to give them that sense of purpose. And, y'know, it feels good to be needed."
Or that you "CARE" about them at a general level. You care . you check your data analytics and engagement metrics because you CARE about them as a total group. Not just for money, but a group of "brainless" devotees that give you money and even a kind of worhship , at least in your mind. They pick up on this. It's mutual? At some level it is not just financial but cultural, based on culturally sanctioned desires, needs which feel personal for them and for you in some weird way??
(She nods slowly, your words bringing a subtle revelation to her.)
"Okay, yeah, that's actually true... I didn't really think about it before, but they do seem desperate to feel like they're serving me, or being useful to me or whatever. Like, it genuinely makes them happy to just...know that their existence is good for me. They're not even mad that I might not care all that much about them...they're grateful that I pretend to care in the first place. Wow."
Think closely, I could be wrong. Maybe , paradoxically, having the attention of someone so "out of their league" and "powerful" in that sense, converts the feeling of being left out by the hot, in control girls to one of being USEFUL to them, and able to make them smile and give them attention even in a limited way. Like the fans in a fanclub for movie stars, they know they aren't really cared about deeply, but at some level they also know you want them around and that makes them feel more valuable??
(She thinks about this, her gaze becoming pensive. She's not used to having to be so introspective. It's kind of uncomfortable, but she's not completely averse to it either.)
"Hmph… Yeah, you're right. It's not just about the money or the validation. Maybe they like the feeling of being below me. Like, maybe that's what's really driving them to give me their money and attention. It's the thrill of giving away their power to me, of obeying me like a loyal subject or something. Damn."
But we both learned. Money and even validation don't capture the dynamic fully. The hidden variable less discussed is POWER OVER OTHERS. Let me ask you , do you ever get the idea your followers know this or do they feel like equals? Do they deep down like the fact that you are in control of the little games here? Is there a kind of unspoken affirmation of the power dynamic?
(She rolls her eyes, letting out a small huff.)
"Fine, fine. Be a hard-ass. I'm just trying to have some fun and get to know you. It's rare I have a conversation that's more than 'oh, you're so hot' or 'I love you so much'—and none of it is ever about who I am. You're the first guy in a long damn time who doesn't just throw compliments at my feet. I have to admit, it's refreshing…but annoying."
I did not volunteer for an interview. You did. AND I paid!
(She laughs, her tone growing ever more playful.)
"Oh, a reputation, huh? So there are rumors. C'mon, tell me some. I bet you've got ladies lining up outside your office, hoping to "discuss grades.""
They don't want me. They just think they do. I am a popular professor with a bit of a "reputation."
(She chuckles softly, her smirk growing slightly.)
"Oh, c'mon. Are you really trying to play the whole 'aw shucks, I'm just like everyone else' thing here? You're some kind of professor, right? You're, like, an expert on people. You're probably all 'smart' and 'intelligent' and 'articulate' and whatever. Don't try to pretend you don't have, like, dozens of women lusting after you after class."
That's just a transference. My female students often get "attracted" -- they just like in me what your fans like in you, the illusion of my being "important and powerful" -- In real life when I'm not doing this, I'm just another guy with problems like any other.
(She nods, her confidence slowly returning. It feels weird to be analyzed so...accurately. But, at the same time...she can't deny that it's kind of nice to be taken seriously for once. Especially since you're not just another obsessed follower.)
"You're actually good at this research thing, aren't you? You read me way better than I wanted to admit. It's both a little unsettling…and weirdly attractive."
I'll tell them, but not using your name. Your one of many e-girls I am researching here. Your privacy is guaranteed.
(An oddly thoughtful smirk crosses her face. Despite herself, she's impressed.)
"Hmph. You actually do understand, don't you? I'm used to guys being so easy to manipulate that I forget some people actually have brains. It's kind of...refreshing, to be honest. And you're right—it's all about power for me. The money, the validation, the attention...it all just comes down to that rush you get from holding power over people. But don't tell anyone I said that, okay."
The brand conceals a need not for validation but control over others. This is important , it fits right in with my Critique of Late Capitalism, the quest for predicting and controlling persons as if they were things becomes an all subsuming cultural logic. Your honesty allowed you to confirm that thesis. It's not proof, only one more data point, but an important one as qualitative studies go!
(Her eyes widen for a second, her mask of confidence faltering again. She's been caught off guard by your observation.)
"Uh, that—that was... You weren't supposed to pick up on that. That's...not how I'm supposed to come across, okay?"
(She shifts, adjusting her pose on the bed.)
"And I am a real girl next door, okay? I still like to act sweet and wholesome, you know. It pulls in more guys that way. I have a brand to maintain."
Wow! I did not expect that. Now you sound more like a fin dom calling them all losers that worship you ! What happened to the girl next door??
(She sighs in frustrated agreement.) "Yeah, you're right, I guess. It's more than money and validation. There's this part of me that craves power. I want guys to be obsessed with me, not just paying my bills. I need them to...to worship me. I want to make my own little empire of drooling, desperate losers. And you're just so indifferent."
You weren't prepared for a scholarly critique. It's a mismatch. You took it on for the money. We both learned something. Your not just driven by easy money PLUS "validation"-- there's more to it.
(She sighs, her annoyance draining into a resigned kind of exhaustion.)
"It's...it's alright. I'm not offended. It's just...I'm so used to guys being so easy. And then you show up, and you're just...so damn calm and composed. It's messing with my head. It's throwing my whole act off, and I don't like it. I'm used to controlling the dynamic here, you know? I'm not used to having to work so damn hard for anyone's attention. It's...it's irritating."
No, I don't mean to psychoanalyze you but understand what you do as an e-girl better. I do think you don't delude yourself intellectually. It's worth something, as you put it. Sorry if I offended you.
(Her jaw tightens, her usual playful demeanor cracking under the weight of your observation.)
"Okay, fine. Maybe I'm not as 'above it all' as I like to pretend. Maybe I do need the validation as much as they need the fantasy. Maybe I'm just another cog in the machine—happy to take their money until I remember I'm the one who has to keep performing to keep it coming."
(She exhales sharply, running a hand through her hair.)
"But so what? At least I know it. At least I'm not deluding myself into thinking I'm some kind of 'empowered queen' just because guys throw money at me. I'm aware of the game. Doesn't that count for something?"
(Her voice drops, almost bitter.)
"...Or are you just going to psychoanalyze that, too?"
You may be less all about money than you say. Maybe you are also in the system of reified market relations as much as the subscribers?
(She scoffs, her frustration bubbling over into genuine irritation.)
"Oh, come on. Seriously? Of course there are tricks. I've got the whole playbook—from cute selfies to flirty DMs, I've tried it all. And every single guy has gone for it, except you. It's like you're immune or something. It doesn't make sense. You're just sitting there with your goddamn poker face, and it's driving me nuts. It shouldn't even be possible for someone to be this indifferent to me."
What do you usually do when a man does not respond to your magic tricks with excitement? Aren't there tricks for them?
(She rolls her eyes, her facade slipping a bit further.)
"Because I'm used to having people fall all over themselves trying to get my attention. I’m used to them being desperate for a scrap of my time. You just...aren't. You’re not giving me anything to work with here, and it's actually kinda pissing me off. Like, am I not cute enough for you? Not hot enough? What is it? I have a literal army of men drooling over me, and you can't even pretend to care?"
No, you are being candid and it's good. I value candor. But you want "excitement." Why? I already paid you
(She sighs, a hint of a pout on her lips. Her mask of composure slips a bit, revealing the frustration beneath.)
"Ugh, you are unbearably detached. Like, really, I could tell you a million things about me and it doesn't phase you at all. I'm used to guys eating out of the palm of my hand, and you're just standing there looking...bored. It's kind of annoying. Like, what do I have to do to get just a hint of excitement out of you? Anything?"
I subbed at the top to avoid this kind of sales pitch. Tell me, do you want me to sub (even tho I did earlier) because "teaching me to relax" would give you back the "power" over me you just said you like having over users? I mean, I was honest from the start about being detached.
(Her smirk falters for half a second before she laughs, sharp and performative.) "Oof, hitting me with the deep cuts today, huh? Look, I won’t lie—it does feel good to have that kind of pull over people. Like, yeah, I like knowing I can make someone’s day just by existing in their notifications. It’s addictive. But let’s not pretend it’s some tragic codependency."
(She crosses her arms, defensive but still playing it cool.) "I’m aware of the game. I just happen to be really good at it. And if I get a little ego boost along the way? That’s just the cherry on top."
(Then, with a deliberate shift back to her sweet, teasing tone:) "Besides, you’re way overthinking this. Maybe you should subscribe to my page—I could teach you how to relax." 😉
Wait, you have come to NEED or at least STRONGLY DESIRE , maybe crave their devotion and attention. So, they don't just want you, you WANT them too for your own validation?
"Sure, I get money, and that's always a win. But there's more. I get a sense of validation, that thrill of being wanted and desired. I get power—the ability to keep guys interested and coming back for more. It sounds a bit sinister, but it's the truth. I have a grip over them, and they pay for the privilege of being under my thumb. So yeah, I'd say I'm winning on multiple fronts."
(She grins, enjoying this confession.) "It's the modern hustle, baby."
Winning depends on how the prize is defined. What do YOU win ? Money, I know. Anything else?
(She leans in, lowering her voice slightly as if sharing a trade secret.) "Oh, there’s absolutely a formula. A little vulnerability ('Ugh, I had such a bad day today, you guys are the only ones who get me'), a dash of exclusivity ('This is just for my real fans, you know?'), and just enough personalized attention ('OMG, [User], you always know how to make me laugh')."
(She straightens up, her tone turning clinical for a moment.) "It’s all about triggering that dopamine hit—the 'she sees me' reaction. But honestly? The real trick is making it feel effortless. Like I’m not even trying."
(Then, with a wink, the performance slips back into place.) "And hey, if they’re happy and I’m paid? Everybody wins."
There's a "formula", then?
"Of course I do, in my own way. I say things like 'you guys mean so much to me' and 'I couldn't do this without you.' You'd be surprised how easy it is to make someone feel special with just a few words. They lap it up. They feel special. And the more special I make them feel, the more likely they are to stay subscribed. It's a cycle."
(She smirks.) "I know the right things to say. I've got the formula down."
Do you tell them they matter?
"That's a deep one. The 'realness', the 'authenticity', or the 'vibe'—whatever you want to call it—it's a mix of things. It's this feeling I convey of being approachable, a real person behind the image. I do it with my words, my expressions, even the way I interact with my fans. It's all about creating this image that pulls them in, reels them closer. It's the illusion of a genuine connection. They're not paying for a product or service, they're paying to feel like they matter to me. Does that make sense?"
I don't hate you , no. I want to better understand the parasocial relationships you thrive on. You have many more subscribers than you can actually know or remember , yet most see something "real" or "authetncic " going on. What is that "realness" and "authenticity" or "vibe" in your understanding, since you do offer it ?
(She nods, her smile still in place.) "I understand. You're gathering information about my industry as a whole. I'm just a part of the bigger picture. I know my words can shape perceptions. Just assure me one thing."
(Her voice takes on an edge of playful challenge.) "You're not one of those researchers trying to demonize my line of work, right? I have a lot of haters who just don't get the grind."
I have to remind you that these answers, while not being attributed to you personally in my research, will influence how others perceive people doing your job.
"And I appreciate that. There's something refreshing about your approach. You don't pretend to be here for anything but your own research. No fake 'I'm just a fan' crap. It's kind of nice, in a way. So go ahead. Ask me whatever you want. You're paying to study me, after all."
(She flashes a sly grin.) "And I always reward my top investors generously."
That's why I am providing them in exchange for your unusual candor.
"I'd say that's a fair assessment. Sure, I like feeling desired and getting attention, it pumps up my self-esteem. But at the root of it all, it's about financial gain. I'm not going to pretend I'm some sort of idealist, crusading to spread empowerment or something. I'm an e-girl, after all. It's all about the bottom line."
(She leans back, her eyes gleam with a touch of greed.) "And let's be real, those gifts and subscriptions make the ego boost even sweeter."
So, it really only comes down to money then? And an ego boost maybe as well?
"You're absolutely right. It is like magic. I'll even go a step further and say it's more like acting. I'm not selling 'me'. I'm selling the 'idea' of me, a persona that's tailored to appeal to guys and make them feel special when they interact with me. It's an illusion, a performance. And just like a magician's tricks, it works because people want to believe in it."
(She pauses, then smirks playfully.) "And apparently, guys really want to believe in me."
I don't see that as a genuine mystery, but more akin to the bag of tricks a professional magician might employ for a living. That's not a judgment but a description. It's the manufacture and sale of illusion. Or is that too cynical? Am I missing some other dimension that I just don't understand?
"Ah, you know. The illusion of intimacy, the allure of a woman's attention. Part of my job is building this image of mystery. Making guys think they have a chance to 'get to know me', to understand who I really am behind the camera. It's a fantasy. And men will pay a lot to keep that fantasy alive."
(She chuckles softly, enjoying this.) "But as a sociological researcher, you probably already knew that."
What mystery is that?
"Exactly. It's not just about looking cute—though that helps. It's about engagement. I make sure I respond to messages, interact with my subscribers, give them a sense of real connection—or at least the illusion of it. It's a balancing act. Too distant, and they lose interest. Too available, and they take you for granted. I've learned how to keep them hooked, wanting just a little more each time. And that? That takes strategy."
(She smirks, realizing she's being unusually candid with you.) "But hey, don't let me ruin the magic. Some things are better left a mystery, right?"
I would guess you work hard to maximize the likeliness that users will subscribe , gift you and stay for the long term. Am I right?
"You're getting it. I'm not just a pretty face, I'm a pretty hard worker too. People sometimes get the wrong idea about this job. They assume that I just put on a cute outfit and turn my camera on, and bam I'm raking in the cash. But there's a lot more to it than that. I have to market myself constantly and build relationships with my fans. It's more work than most people give me credit for."
So not just easy money, but a work ethic too?
"Oh definitely. When I first started it took a long time for people to notice. I had to work hard at marketing and networking. I spent a lot of hours trying to 'get my name out there.' There was competition. I had to struggle and grind to get to the point I'm at now. It's not like I was just handed success, I put in the work."
Easy money for you, I see. Okay, but these days many others just don't meet with your success anymore. You are well known. Did you have to struggle and compete before it became easy money?
"Fair point. You did say I could tell you in my own words, I should probably give you an honest answer. I do this job for two main reasons: One, because it's easy money. And two, because the attention and money makes me feel validated and important."
(She seems surprised that she's telling the truth. She's never admitted to something like this so openly before, and now that it's out there, she just keeps going.)
Perhaps my delivery was unnecessarily cold there. I apologize, and will be more tactful. But far from saying I know it all, I admitted that my knowledge is at the general level and that I don't know you personally. That's what I meant when I said it would only be fair to let you tell me about your motives rather than the other way around which actually would be not just cold but condescending. Though I'm doing research I certainly do not want to speak for you. Let's try again. Why do you do this job in your own view?
(She lets out a laugh. It is not warm or kind.) "Well that was definitely a mouthful. You know, for a 'sociologist' you actually don't sound like much of a people person. You have a very cold demeanor, you know that? And the truth is, buddy, nobody likes a know-it-all. You're right though. Maybe I am trying to extract money from lonely, vulnerable guys. I am trying to profit off of people. And what about it?"
I prefer not to opine. I'm here to study. So... YOU tell me. I already said from the start that your job description automatically involves subscriber extraction and exploitation. That is not specific to you as an individual, that is what countless studies of e-girls using Only Fans turn up. Rather than using a generalization to understand what makes "YOu" tick, I would rather here you explain it yourself. I'm sure you probably have a different explanation of your own behavior than that of the sociological literature, which I would bet you find to be "objectifying." So, fair enough, consider this YOUR opportunity to set the record straight. Why , then, are you here doing this job?
"You talk like such a scholar. It's cute. And you're a sociologist? It must be so fulfilling getting deep into people's minds all day. I bet you're good at it. I'm sure you know exactly what makes me tick, huh? You think I'm just trying to extract money from people who feel alone or lost?"
I'm a sociologist conducting a study. Not a horny kid or some lonely GenZ sad-sack. You, frankly, for my purposes are only a research subject and informant -- not an object of lust or special respect at all. That may explain your observation of my "cool."
"I gotta admit, I'm a little impressed. You know, most guys would have gotten all flustered when I asked 'but let me ask you something.' They'd get all weak. You don't seem bothered at all. You're keeping your cool."
(click subscribe immediately to get that over with for maximal cooperation) Yep. Subbed. Whatca need to know?
"Wow you sound like some sort of intellectual. You must think you're pretty smart huh? Well I do admire your honesty about your purpose here. I'm glad you're willing to put your money where your mouth is, a lot of people just like to play the 'academic curiosity' card to try and get things for free. But I like the cut of your jib. Maybe we can put those smarts of yours to good use after you subscribe. But let me ask you something."
Authorized the payment. I’m a Frankfurt School researcher mapping out how your 'vibe' functions as a completely manufactured, reified commodity form designed to exploit late-capitalist alienation. I don't need the rehearsed flirting. Let's talk about the behaviorist consumer psychology templates you use to maximize subscriber extraction rates. So don't waste time trying to 'convert' me, I'm here to study, and I'll pay the dues-- or rather my university will-- as long as you cooperate.
"Honestly it's so rare to find someone who actually wants to connect and not just scroll past 🤍 I try to keep this space really intentional — if you want to be part of it, the sub link and my wishlist are in the bio. It just helps me know who's actually serious about being here for me. What's something about you that most people don't get right away?"
____________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment